Updated: Aug 22, 2020
We all have read or heard the quote from William Shakespeare “What’s in a name?”, I say it's EVERYTHING! True it’s your deeds / Karma that decides who you are; but in a world filled with Brands, it is crucial that you stand out. Whether you aspire to be a thought leader, start your own company, or find your dream job you have to build yourself and let the world know WHO YOU ARE…
For many of us, the term “Brand” could be only associated with organizations such as Apple, Amazon, Coca Cola, etc., but if you think about it there are various individuals who we look up to are Brands themselves, who inspire and influence us.
The thought of Personal Branding might be intimidating, and you might feel lost in the process, but remember it’s never too late, and with umpteen digital platforms out there, it isn’t as daunting as you might believe. Below is a list of 5 things that will help you get started…
1. BE VISIBLE: Yes, actions speak louder than words, but you have to shout those actions for the world to hear them. Let the world know what you are capable of, what you have achieved, and what you desire to achieve. Use visuals for higher impact and no it doesn’t have to be a professional set-up! Take out your phone, start recording and start sharing.
As the Hindi saying goes “jo dikhta hai wahi bikta hai” meaning What's not seen is not valued.
2. BE ENGAGING: Engaging with peers & followers in a meaningful and genuine manner goes a long way in building a personal brand. Being genuine with your conversations is the most important aspect in Brand building, if you are engaging just to rack up your visibility, it won’t work and people will see right through it!
‘Influencing others is about being genuine yourself’…
3. TELL YOUR STORY: One of the best ways to go far and reach higher is to be REAL. Don’t be someone else, share your own experience, knowledge, desires, and passion. Communication is more effective when you talk about yourself and don’t forget to show your human side. True we all are inspired by the people around us and it’s good to be inspired but don’t try to duplicate…
“Know all the paths, but walk on your path! Be original!” - Mehmet Murat ildan.
4. GIVE MORE, EXPECT NONE: In the world of social media, we all are tied up heavily to the vanity of Likes and Followers. Yes, it’s important to know that your effort is being appreciated, but don’t expect to become an overnight start. Brand building requires effort and time! Be like a Bamboo -
“The first year it sleeps, the second year it creeps, the third year it leaps.”
5. KEEP LEARNING AND KEEP IMPROVING: Last but not the least, never stop improving and learning from your peers. The more you water the plant of your knowledge the wider the shade will reach. As they say
‘Life never stops teaching you, then why do you stop learning’!
Remember the quote “What’s in a name” is popular because it was said by William Shakespeare, now imagine if it was said by a lesser know individual would it have been as relevant or as popular for many decades? So, go ahead and start building your Brand!